12 October 2018- Conference: Limitations to Party Autonomy in International Arbitration
Kayıtlarımız kapanmıştır. İlginiz için teşekkür ederiz.
Istanbul Arbitration Centre is delighted to host the conference “Limitations to Party Autonomy in International Arbitration”.
This conference aims to explore one of the core concept of international arbitration by bringing together highly experienced speakers who will share insights into the perspective of both arbitrators and counsel. In this respect, upon introducing the concept of part autonomy in international arbitration, Prof. Dr. Franco Ferrari and Dr. Friedrich Jakob Rosenfeld will be covering the limitations of party autonomy in the interest of the parties, the public, the arbitrators and the arbitral institutions. The panel will be moderating by Prof. Dr. H. Ercüment Erdem who will be delivering his comments on the subject.
- Prof. Dr. Franco Ferrari, who joined the NYU School of Law full-time faculty in Fall 2010, was most recently a chaired professor of international law at Verona University in Italy (2002-2016). Previously, he was a chaired professor of comparative law at Tilburg University in the Netherlands (1995-1998) and the University of Bologna in Italy (1998-2002). After serving as a member of the Italian delegation to various sessions of the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) from 1995 to 2000, he was legal officer at the United Nations Office of Legal Affairs, International Trade Law Branch, from 2000 to 2002, where he was responsible for numerous projects, including the preparation of the UNCITRAL digest on applications of the UN Sales Convention. Ferrari has published more than 280 law review articles in various languages and 20 books in the areas of international commercial law, conflict of laws, comparative law, and international commercial arbitration. Ferrari is a member of the editorial boards of various peer-reviewed European law journals (Internationales Handelsrecht, European Review of Private Law, Contratto e impresa, Contratto e impresa/Europa, and Revue de droit des affaires internationales). Ferrari also acts as an international arbitrator both in international commercial arbitrations and, most recently, investment arbitrations.
- Dr. Friedrich Jakob Rosenfeld is Partner with the arbitration boutique Hanefeld Rechtsanwälte in Hamburg, Germany. He acts as counsel and arbitrator in international arbitration proceedings. Friedrich is also Global Adjunct Professor at New York University (Paris program), Visiting Professor at the International Hellenic University in Thessaloniki and Lecturer at Bucerius Law School in Hamburg. In 2014, he was appointed Global Hauser Fellow from Practice & Government at NYU School of Law. Since 2015, he is alternate member of the ILA Committee on Rule of Law and International Investment Law. Prior to joining his current firm, Friedrich worked as consultant for the United Nations Assistance to the Khmer Rouge Trials in Cambodia. Friedrich studied at Bucerius Law School in Hamburg and Columbia Law School in New York. He holds a PhD in international law (summa cum laude).
- Prof. Dr. H. Ercüment Erdem is the Founder and Senior Partner of Erdem & Erdem Law Office. He has more than 30 years of experience in international commercial law, mergers and acquisitions, privatizations, corporate finance and arbitration. He serves international and national clients in a variety of industries including energy, construction, finance, retail, real estate, aerospace, healthcare and insurance. He has extensive experience in cross-border projects concerning project finance, privatization, mergers and acquisitions and private equity transactions in wide geography including Europe, Asia and CIS countries. Moreover he has successfully represented clients in many arbitration proceedings and enforcement claims in relation to arbitral awards obtained outside of Turkey. He has acted as chairman and sole or party-appointed arbitrator in many international and national arbitrations under different rules including International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Arbitration, Swiss Arbitration, Moscow Arbitration, United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) Arbitration, Tehran Arbitration, and ad hoc arbitrations and is, furthermore, distinguished in this field. Ercüment Erdem is a member of Istanbul Bar Association, the Co-chair of ICC Commercial Law and Practice Commission, and a member of the ICC Court of Arbitration, ICC Institute Council, ICC Incoterms Expert Group, and ICC Turkish National Committee Arbitration Council as well as a member of several ICC task forces. He is a member of the Association Suisse de l’Arbitrage (ASA), International Bar Association (IBA), Association Henri Capitant des amis de la culture juridique française, and the Research Institute of Banking and Commercial Law. He has highly strong academic background. He is an emeritus professor and still continues to lecture in leading universities such as Galatasaray University in Turkey and Fribourg University in Switzerland. He has 30 year experience as a scholar and his research contains competition and antitrust law, international commercial law, mergers and acquisitions, corporate law etc. He has authored books on international trade law, competition law, mergers and acquisitions, commercial enterprise law, CIF sales, bonds, contracts etc. In addition he has authored numerous articles in national or international publications related to commercial law, competition and antitrust law, contracts law, arbitration, complex business litigation issues, dispute resolution etc.
Date & Time: 12 October 2018, 16:00-18:00
Venue: Shangri-La Bosphorus Hotel, Beşiktaş Istanbul
- TRY 200 (VAT included)
- Young ISTAC members: TRY 180 (VAT included)
Registration and payment must be made online by filling the above form.
Complimentary seat for in-house counsel / government counsel is available. Please contact ISTAC at firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms & Conditions:
- Attendance is limited due to the capacity of the venue. All applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- All notices of cancellations or replacements must be made in writing to email@example.com and must be acknowledged by ISTAC.
- Full payment will be imposed if cancellation is made within 2 days of the event date. This also applies to any “no-shows” on the day of event.
- Please kindly note that this conference will be held in English and no simultaneous translation will be provided.